The subject of poster creation is very popular, as there is an overabundance of information in the world. And for the presentation of any information, it is a good idea to use posters. A poster is a bright placard, in which the main role is given to the image. In most cases, the text on the poster is minimal or absent. A poster is the most effective means of announcing an event to a large number of people. It can be a concert, presentation, sale, auction, etc. Of course, everybody is well aware of posters such as movie posters. Posters are an opportunity to decorate a room with images of your idol – a musician or actor. A poster can be a kind of business card of your personality.
Posters can be commercial: they may announce an upcoming event, for example, a concert, a sale, or a promotion. There are also decorative posters, which are used to decorate interiors.
You can create a poster using almost any program that has the ability to customize the page for printing. Of course, you can use Microsoft Visio or Photoshop for this purpose, but if you need to make the poster as fast and as easy as possible, it is recommended to use PowerPoint. PowerPoint is included in Microsoft Office, whereas Microsoft Visio or Photoshop will usually have to be searched for, purchased, and installed.
Before the instruction on how to create a poster in PowerPoint, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the basic rules of creating posters.
- The bright picture. The main task is to attract attention. This image is also called eye stopper.
- The header. Actually, it is not a required attribute of a poster. But if you want to add a title, remember that it should also be bright and attract attention. The title may be the name of the promotion, band, or company; or a message about an event, a product name, or some interesting short wording.
- The text. The main rule is: the less text the better. Ideally, no more than two fonts should be used. One for the title, the other for the main text. It is also recommended to select a trademark or logo when making a text.
- The color. The most important rule is to choose bright and contrasting colors. Do not forget that they should be combined and easily readable.
How to make a poster in PowerPoint
Here is a step-by-step guide to creating a poster using PowerPoint. This won't take long, but you will definitely have a great result.
- Create a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation. For this, you need to do a few things. Right-click. Then among the options that popup, select "Create." Then select "Microsoft PowerPoint presentation." Alternatively, you can create a presentation by clicking the "Start" button and selecting "PowerPoint."
- Open a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation. Here you also need to create a new slide. To do this, on the "Home tab," click "Create Slide." From the drop-down list of options, select "Blank Slide."
- Set the dimensions of the poster. Posters are available in a variety of sizes. This will vary depending on the end-use. You need to be oriented towards the viewer, who will have to read the information on your poster from long or short distances. This is a very important item for creating a poster. Read the following information carefully!
The maximum slide size in PowerPoint is 52 inches (width and height). Depending on the purpose of the poster, select the following sizes:
- Large poster size is 23.39 inches (594 mm) by 33.11 inches (841 mm).
- Average poster size is 16.54 inches (420 mm) by 23.39 inches (594 mm).
- Small poster size is 11.69 inches (297 mm) by 16.54 inches (420 mm).
- A4 is 8.27 inches (210 mm) by 11.69 inches (297 mm).
Also, consider the orientation of your slide. If the orientation of the slide is portrait: width/height. If the orientation of the slide is landscape: height/width.
You can set the size by selecting the "Design tab." Among the options, select "Page Settings". You’re done!
- Create a poster background. If you want to make a poster background, you need to right-click in the presentation field. This action will help you to open the context menu. From the pop-up menu, select "Background Format" - "Flush Color" - "Fill". From the options provided, select the one that suits you. If you want to background an image, do the following: click on the background format - "Fill" - "Picture or texture" - "File". Next, you need to select the image and make it the background.
- Add the picture. First, you need to find the image. There are several options here. You can download the image from the internet, or create it using a graphics tablet, Adobe Illustrator, or Photoshop. After that, copy the image and paste it into the open presentation field. Next, you can move the image to any place on the poster. To resize a picture, drag on its corner. If you want to set the exact size of the picture, you need to do the following. Right-click on the picture and click "Size and Position." On the window that pops up, enter the height and width of the picture.
- Change the color. If you have added some figures to the poster, you can easily change the color of this figure. To do this, move the cursor over the figure and open the context menu. Among the options, you should choose the shape format - "Fill", "Line color". You can also add a shadow, volume, and rotation to the figure.
- Add the text. You can copy and paste the finished text. To do this, you need to copy it, select the "Drawing" group on the "Home tab," and then click "Inscription." After that press "Insert" and your text is already on the poster. Or as the second option, you can write beautiful text using Word Art by selecting "Word Art" in the "Insert" tab. Place the text in the text field. Change the size of the text field if necessary. You can also change the font color and framing of the object. To do this, select the text, right-click and click "Animation Parameter" on the pop-up window. In this window, select "Text outline," and change the text outline and text fill. You can change the font as usual in any document.
- Save the presentation. This is the last and very important point of creating the poster. You need to left-click on the "Office" button, click "Save As." Change the file type. Instead of a "PowerPoint presentation", select "JPEG image."
Your poster is ready! Congratulations!
How to create a poster with preset templates
In this section, we will talk about creating a poster using PowerPoint templates. As it turns out, it is very easy to create a poster with a ready-made template. There are a very large number of them. We offer you more than 2000 PowerPoint templates with which you can create a great poster and attract people's attention to your products. Most of the templates are predefined in size.
And that means you don't have to resize, or cut them off. All you need to do is focus and make an unforgettable design. The elements of the templates are unique, stylish, and ready to use. These are free fonts, text badges, masks, backgrounds, etc. They can be combined, changed, and customized. You can also add your own images and fonts.
You can create a poster using templates in a few steps. You need to do this:
- select the poster format;
- select a template;
- view the design elements, choose something special and personalize your design;
- save the finished poster.
That's all! As you have understood, creating posters is very easy!