- Intro to WordPress Software
- Intro to Joomla! Software
- Intro to Drupal Software
- Comparing WordPress and Joomla!
Today we are going to compare two most popular CMS websites WordPress and Joomla! You will ask what CMS means. The answer is CMS stands for content management systems that allow applying any changes to the site without touching code. Before comparing these two softwares, we will take a closer look to each of them separately.
Intro to WordPress Software
WordPress is one of the most famous CM systems. Today it is powering more than 60 million sites all over the world and is used on over than 40% of the websites based on CMS. WordPress is a free open-source software powered by such programming languages as PHP, HTML, CSS, etc. It has multiple plugins, widgets, and themes which make wp fully customizable and expandable. WordPress software is perfect for small (blogs) and medium websites and does not require any technical skills. This is the reason wp is recommended for beginners. To update add-ons and publish content have become easy as one two three, along with that the security corresponds to regulations. You will be pleased to know that WordPress powers Walt Disney Co., the LinkedIn blog, and BBC America's multisite. Despite the advantages wp has, there are still some shortcomings we should say about: since WordPress is easy to use, it limits the ability to make significant visual adjustments. You will have to hire a designer or developer who will help you to update web page structure.
Intro to Joomla! Software
Joomla! is the second widely used website after WordPress. It does not require a high level of technical experience like Drupal software does (the 3d most popular content management system which is good for people with well-developed technical skills). Joomla! has a variety of themes and plugins (near 6000), and powers applications of all types, from blog to corporate intranet. It is based on PHP and MySQL. You will have no hassle to update the website corresponding to your needs. Joomla! is perfect for eCommerce sites; it runs better than any other CMS options. Whether you need to make your web page more functional, feel free to go ahead with Joomla! extensions database, there are thousands of them, and many are free. The extensions are represented in different options: plugins, languages, files and packages, modules which have the same features as widgets in WordPress. Joomla! is found to be powerful and flexible yet user-friendly and intuitive. These are the main things users love Joomla!
Intro to Drupal Software
Even if we are not going to compare WordPress and Joomla! with Drupal, we have found it crucial to explore it in more detail though. As you might have already understood, Drupal requires the most technical expertise among three CM systems. It is multipurpose, and there are modules available which allow you to tune the website the way you need. You can even change the
root file directly. Based on the following user’s feedback, it becomes easier to understand what Drupal is: ‘It is enterprise-ready for the world’s busiest websites where failure is not an option. Drupal will scale with your business and your brands for your next-generation digital transformation’. Drupal is found to be the most powerful; it guarantees faster response time and multisite support. If you know programming languages well and want to apply essential changes to your website, Drupal is what you need.
Comparing WordPress and Joomla!
We are going to compare WordPress and Joomla! based on the following parameters: usability, security, support, add-ons. Let’s start now.
- Usability: WordPress software is well-known for its simplicity and quick 5-minute installation. This makes the site available for beginners and new users to run their website or blog in seconds. After wp being installed, the user finds a comprehensive interface with a clear menu allowing to continue with posts and pages or customize website look. Joomla! installation is not so quick as WordPress but is way similar. When Joomla! is installed, the user is redirected to a dashboard that is not so intuitive and easy to use as WP, and there are far more menus which may confuse the client.
- Security: both softwares have a reliable security system and react to security vulnerability promptly. They allow extensions for backups and enable to enhance security efficiency. WordPress and Joomla! are good to go when it comes to security regulations.
- Support: WordPress has a dedicated support foundation along with extensive user community. Clients can get assistance at support forums, guides, documents, at WPBeginner site offering manuals, video instructions, articles and much more useful information. Support at WordPress can be either free or paid. If you need to resolve the issue quickly, come along with such freelance platform as Upwork, where you will be able to hire an experienced specialist (fortunately, there are many of them). Like WordPress, Joomla! has a rich support base. The difference is that it is hard to find developers for Joomla! software, and it may cost time to get a good one.
- Add-ons: with the help of multiple themes and plugins (38,000) WordPress allow users to apply changes to their website look in short time. At any moment you will be able to install themes or plugins from the official wp site, and this is free of charge. For those who prefer premium add-ons with excellent support option, there are numerous paid themes and plugins. Joomla! offers templates and extensions just like WordPress, but their quantity is not so impressive, and this makes hard to find add-ons perfectly match your requirements. Joomla! does not allow to install templates and extensions from admin area which let WordPress win in this ‘fight.’
Joomla! may seem more flexible than WordPress. Though, WordPress beats Joomla! when it comes to usage, support community and the variety of add-ons. Still, content management system should be chosen based on client’s purposes. If you have a site with basic interactivity like contact form and social media sharing and are not going to improve this, WordPress is right for you. For those who are going to continually adjust their website, Joomla! is a better choice. Anyway, before choosing one of the software, take a closer look at your business plan and decide for yourself if your website will need further adjustments. This will help you to make the right choice.